How to Know If You Have Sleep Apnea
Obstructive sleep apnea is a growing health concern among adults in the United States. It’s a serious sleep disorder that is associated with many other health problems and life-threatening conditions.
Checklist of Sleep Apnea Symptoms
Review the main warning signs of sleep apnea to understand if you are at risk. Check off the symptoms which are affecting you.
- □ You snore loudly.
- □ Your spouse or bed partner says that you have stopped breathing during sleep.
- □ You have woken up suddenly with a choking or gasping sensation.
- □ You often wake up with a dry mouth or sore throat.
- □ You frequently experience headaches in the morning.
- □ You often feel tired or fatigued during the day.
- □ You have difficulty staying awake while watching TV or reading.
- □ You have problems paying attention at work.
- □ You have difficulty remembering things.
- □ You feel irritable or have mood swings.
- □ You have high blood pressure.
- □ You have a decreased sex drive.
- □ You have any of the common risk factors associated with OSA: being a smoker, overweight or obese.
Use the checklist above to start the conversation with your primary care physician.
TAKE THE QUIZ: DO YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA?
Seeking Treatment for Sleep Apnea
Successful treatment starts with a solid diagnosis. This requires overnight sleep testing, so talk to your doctor about your symptoms and ask about getting sleep testing.
More Sleep Apnea Resources
If you are concerned about your health and think that you might have sleep apnea, review the information that we have provided on the condition.
- What You Need to Know About Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- How to Ensure CPAP Therapy Works for You
- The Science of Snoring: Is Your Health at Risk?
- The Important Link Between Alzheimer’s Disease and Sleep Apnea
- The Effect of Sleep Apnea on Brain Health
- Easy Guide to Cleaning Your CPAP Mask & Hose
- What Is Inspire Sleep Therapy?
- The Role of a Dentist in Treating Sleep Apnea
Discuss your concerns with your physician and request a referral for diagnostic sleep testing.
Testing and Diagnosis for Sleep Apnea
Sleep Health Solutions in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio specializes in clinical sleep disorder analysis and in-home sleep testing. Contact Sleep Health Solutions for more information or to schedule a consultation.